Carruth Compliance Consulting

     Retirement Readiness      For Employees      For Employers      For Vendors      About Us      Contact Us 

      Log In

CCC Financial Advisor Information

Do I Need A Financial Advisor?

The financial goals are highly individualized, as are your basic financial skills and experiences. You may be very comfortable making all of your financial decisions on your own, but most people lack many of the skills and much of the knowledge required to appropriately manage their financial planning. It's up to you to decide whether or not you should seek the services of a professional financial advisor. If you should decide to do so, this web page provides information that should be helpful to you in your search for appropriate and qualified professionals for this purpose.

How Do I Choose A Financial Advisor?

It's been said that some people spend more time on choosing an automobile to purchase than they do on selecting a financial advisor. If that observation has a ring of truth to it, it may be because people are familiar with the daily driving experience and the ease of deciding what they want. In contrast, financial management is a task that, for most people, involves decisions and considerations that they know little about. They also find it difficult to assess the qualifications of those who provide financial services. The following web links provide helpful information about selecting a financial advisor.

FINRA provides a great summary of where to start when search for and evaluating if a investment professional is right for you.

FINRA also offers a search tool called Broker Check that provides background information, registration status, and more on a potential financial advisor.

Visit the Oregon's Insurance Resource Page or the Office of the Insurance Commissioner for Washington State Consumer Tool to learn more about potential product providers and/or advisors offering insurance products.

The SEC's page on Understanding Fees offers answers to the most common questions concerning fees, including fees paid to advisors.

Questions to ask about your investments and what to do if you run into problems (via the SEC website).

Titles Used By Financial Professionals

Individuals and associated organizations that provide financial services to consumers adopt various descriptive titles for the work that they do. Among the general financial titles commonly used are the following:

  • Financial Advisors
  • Financial Analysts
  • Financial Consultants
  • Financial Counselors
  • Financial Planners
  • Financial Specialists

Sometimes professional accountants, attorneys, and licensed professionals provide advice in specialized areas of financial planning. Examples are:

  • Certified Public Accountants
  • Estate Planning Attorneys
  • Tax Attorneys

Other times individuals and/or organizations specialize in very specific areas of financial planning; Examples are:

  • TSA/DCP Specialists
  • Long-Term Care Insurance Specialists

Certifications, Credentials, Designations

The following are the most common designations:

  • CFA - Chartered Financial Analyst
  • CFP® - Certified Financial Planner™
  • CFS - Certified Fund Specialist
  • ChFC - Chartered Financial Consultant
  • CLU - Chartered Life Underwriter
  • CMFC - Chartered Mutual Fund Counselor
  • PFS - Personal Financial Specialist
  • QFP - Qualified Financial Planner
  • RFC - Registered Financial Consultant
  • RIA - Registered Investment Advisor

Additional Information

  • Our Employee FAQ page covers questions commonly asked by participants.
  • Visit our Choosing an Investment page to learn more about the questions to ask when evaluating your choices, how various vendors market to and service participants, and the types of products offered by 403(b) vendors.
  • Please visit our Useful Links page for additional helpful information on general investment topics.



Page Last Modified: 5/15/2019 6:56:26 PM